Family safety week – staying safe at playtime
5th April 2019
Staying safe at playtime
- keep floors clear, especially stairs
- secure rugs to the floor to prevent slipping. Do not leave wires trailing.
- bare feet, when possible, on the wooden floors to prevent slipping.
- use fire guards and stair gates
- secure heavy furniture to the walls and never leave babies on high surfaces, even if they can’t roll. Be wary of little fingers by doors
- sockets covers are not necessary, but keep appliances out of reach.
- remember babies put everything in their mouths, so don’t leave small things in reach and make sure all toys are clean.
Keeping toys safe
- check all toys are clean and not broken, have sharp edges or loose parts.
- ensure battery compartments are secure – if you suspect a battery has been swallowed do not let them eat/drink and do not make them be sick – go immediately to hospital.
- stick to appropriate age range and check for CE (current European standards).
- when using dressing up clothes, always help/supervise children getting dressed and be cautious of open flames or being around heat sources.
That concludes our week of posts in aid of family safety week, we hope you have enjoyed reading them and perhaps learnt something that you didn’t previously know. Thank you for reading and stay safe everybody.